Go for the Gold Commemorative Pin Program
Sponsored by Northern Michigan Toyota Dealers, United Airlines, Best Buy and Pepsi
Take home a festival keepsake! Commemorative pins will be available for $5, with the possibility of winning one of the grand prizes. Commemorative pins will also be needed for entry into the beer tent. Gold pin entry forms may be turned in at the pin tent. Winners do not need to be present to win.
Festival Open Space Marketplace at Grandview Parkway and Union Street
Pin Program Information
The National Cherry Festival is pleased to continue the 29 year tradition of the Go for the Gold Commemorative Pin Program. An envelope with a pin costs $5. The envelope may contain a silver pin or a gold pin. A pin is necessary for entrance into the beer tent; the same pin works during the entire festival. Look for pin sellers with one of the 200 blue bags. They will be by the prize vehicle, by the beer tent, in the pin tent in the open space, and just roving around. The pin tent will also have a display of all 29 years of silver pins.
A gold pin comes with a “2017 Go for the Gold“ entry form to turn in at the pin tent at the open space by 1 pm on July 8. On Saturday, July 8, winners will be picked from all entry forms turned in to win a grand prize of a two year lease on a 2017 Toyota Camry LE , a second prize of two flights on United Airlines. (Certain terms and conditions apply for airline tickets. Tickets are good for all US 48, Alaska, Canada, Caribbean and Mexico) and a third prize of a 55"-60" LED HD TV with Sound Bar from Best Buy. Drawings for the prizes begin at 3:00 pm, 4:00 pm, and at 5:00 pm at the Cherry Blast Stage in the open space for thirty semi-finalists with a drawing at 6:00 pm for 10 finalists from the group of 30. All semi-finalists will be notified by phone so be certain to enter a phone number that works for you on Saturday afternoon! At 7:00 pm at the Lay's Cherry Blast Stage, the awards program begins. Meet the newly chosen National Cherry Queen as she helps pick the winners.
Winners need not be present to win. Winners must be 18 years old or older. Out of every 100 pins, 8 will be gold. For the collector, pins from some previous years will be available for sale at the pin tent. The pin program is looking for gold pins from some years to complete a set of gold pins for display. Check your drawers and pockets to help the pin program out.
Our Pin Program Hero Volunteer
Peter Garthe is one of our many cherished volunteers. He's been a longstanding character within the festival's culture and a community darling. For over 20 years he's been saying "1,2,3...Boogie!" motivating people to take a chance at picking a winning pin. We love Peter and all he has done for the festival. We cannot say THANK YOU enough!
Peter Garthe: Pin Ambassador
Peter started selling pins in 1991. He has continued to sell commemorative pins each year since. Peter holds the record for Top Pin Seller since 1993. 22 times he has been crowned the National Cherry Festival Pin Sales Champion and this year he is going for a 23rd victory! Over the course of his 24 years in pin sales, his grand total for amount sold to is over 200,000 pins in 2015.Peter was born and raised in Traverse City, MI. Not only does he help at the Festival but Peter also works as a basketball referee with local high school teams. Locals know Peter’s story and many will only buy their pins from him. Prior to Festival you will see Peter biking around Traverse City, Acme and Greilickville & Chum's Corner stopping into local business to make sure everyone has bought their Festival Commemorative Pin for the year. The National Cherry Festival is lucky to have his dedicated help and support year after year!
Peter keeps a running tally of how many pins he has sold over the years. Ask him how many pins he's sold by year! He has them all memorized.
Go For The Gold Rules
Raffle License Number R40342
- Gold pin qualifiers (or designee) must register their gold pin entry form, found in the pin envelope, in person at the National Cherry Festival office at 250 East Front Street, Suite 301, Traverse City, Michigan 49684 or at the Go for the Gold pin tent in the Open Space Park during Festival (July 1-8, 2017). Registration must be received by 5:00 pm on Saturday, July 8, 2017.
- All entries must contain a legible name and a working phone number.
- The entry form stating "Gold Pin Entry Form" is required to be part of the semifinalist drawing.
- Thirty (30) semifinalists will be drawn from the registered pins received; ten (10) semifinalists will be drawn each hour beginning at 3:00 pm on Saturday, July 8, 2017. At 6:00 pm ten (10) finalists will be drawn from the 30 semifinalists.
- Names of the semifinalists will be posted at the Open Space, Grandview Parkway at Union Street, Traverse City, Michigan. Semifinalists will be notified by telephone beginning at 3:00 pm. Finalists will be notified by telephone beginning at 6:00 pm.
- Final drawings will begin at 7:00 pm, July 8, 2017at the Festival Open Space, Grandview Parkway at Union Street, Traverse City, Michigan.
- In the event of inclement weather or extenuating circumstances, the drawing will take place at the National Cherry Festival office, 250 East Front Street, Suite 301, Traverse City, Michigan 49684.
- National Cherry Festival prizes may not be substituted or redeemed for cash. Winners' rights may not be transferred or assigned.
- Arrangements for prize pickup must be made with the National Cherry Festival, Inc., by August 1, 2017.
- If a winner of one of the 2017 Go for the Gold prizes declines to accept, a drawing from the remaining non-winning semifinalists will be made to determine a new winner.
- Pin purchase price is $5.00.
- The odds of choosing a gold pin are 1:12.5.
- No refund or exchange of pins purchased is allowed.
- To participate, you must be 18 years of age or older.
- You need not be present to win.
- Prize winners are responsible for federal, state, and local taxes, title registration, delivery fees, and licensing fees.
- Pin purchasers or winners grant the National Cherry Festival, Inc., without additional compensation, permission to use their names, addresses, and photos in advertising publicity and follow-up marketing.
- Persons in any of the following categories are not eligible to participate: employees and immediate family members of the National Cherry Festival, Inc., persons engaged in any way with the production or development of this promotion, or employees or agents of any Prize Sponsor. Festival volunteers, other than the Pin Program Event Directors, are eligible to win.
- 2017 Go for the Gold Pin Purchase Rules are effective January 1, 2017.
Grand Prize - Two Year Lease on a 2017 Toyota Camry LE
2nd Prize - (2) Flights on United Airlines. (Certain terms and conditions apply. Tickets are good for all US 48, Alaska, Canada, Caribbean and Mexico)
3rd Prize - 55"-60" LED HD TV with Sound Bar from Best Buy